The wreck of the Brandenburg in the Tyrrhenian Sea

Another record of diving for the Genovese sub Massimo Bondone who has identified and reached the hull of the German military ship sunk at almost 200 meters depth during the Second World War

New record of immersion in the Mediterranean for the exploration of a wreck. Last summer, the Pegli Massimo Domenico Bondone’s diver surpassed his own record, which identified and reached Brandenburg, a former naval ship of the German navy, reaching 200 in the Tuscan depths, off the island of Capraia. .

To be exact, the depthometer Bondone has stopped at a height of 195 meters from the surface, during a very challenging dive, both for the extreme depth that for the strong currents, to which was added the inconvenience of a limited visibility in proximity of the fund. The goal of getting down on the Brandenburg Bondone had already set a year ago, after the success achieved in 2015 in the discovery of the Kreta, another former German military ship sunk in the vicinity on a backdrop of 170 meters.

The hulls of the Kriegsmarine, were part of the same military convoy dropped at the end of September 1943, when, about 25 miles from the coast of Livorno, were torpedoed by the British submarine HMS Unseen, while they were headed in the waters between Corsica and Sardinia, to place fields mined against the Allies. On September 21, 1943, the periscope of the Royal Navy boat identified the German convoy along the route (also consisting of two fast S-boote torpedoes and two Arado planes as escort) and completed the ambush stretched out to sea.

The postamine, after having avoided the first two torpedoes launched by the submarine, was centered by a third, which caused explosions in the engine room and in the fuel tank, with a copious and progressive flooding of the front part of the hull, which caused inclination and the subsequent sinking.

“For a few seconds, with a very strong shock all the possible objects flew in the air, in a cloud of smoke, steam and naphtha. The ship immediately swerved a few degrees to starboard and slowly leaned forward. The bridge was covered with oil and in chaos, “was the dramatic testimony of Commander Brill, who escaped the tragedy. The sudden collapse of the two German units allowed the torpedo boats to recover the surviving crew members, as the explosions and the subsequent shipwreck caused twenty-five victims and thirty wounded.

The Brandenburg was built in 1936 in the construction sites of La Seyne-sur-Mer and launched as Kita, a French cargo ship for the transport of various goods (banana ship). In 1942 it was requisitioned by the Germans and, after a few months, it was transformed into plywood for war purposes: several cannons were installed (including 105 mm) and could carry 260 mines. It was 106 meters long, had a gross tonnage of almost 3900 tons and was equipped with three boilers and two steam turbines, which allowed it to reach 16 knots of speed.