Super G. Or how to start skiing after 20 years
Super G. Or how to start skiing after 20 years
Accomplice to the invitation in the first hotel in the Italian quota, I put the foot skis. One thing if you are not yet happened, you should do it too
“Alexander, we would like to invite you to the Super G”. My return to the slopes after nearly two decades began with a phone call. “It’s a new hotel, unique in Italy. It is in Courmayeur, but directly on the slopes. You skiing? ”
“Until high school, then I no longer happen.”
“It’s like riding a bike”
“But if I havoc?”
“But it should be, there is the master”
“I have the equipment in the cellar”
“We’ll think about it”
“Ok, I give up. I come to ski. When do we leave?”.
Super G is the brainchild of two friends have skied a bit ‘anywhere in the world: are Andrea Baccuini, former general manager of Filmmaster, now a strategic consultant for several Italian companies, and James Sonzini, a spent at Pirelli, currently CEO the Italian subsidiary of a private equity firm in London. Two that on any track of the globe went they told him, “but because you come here, you who have the most beautiful mountain in the world.” Obviously that mountain is the giant, the Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Europe.
One of the superstars of any textbook of geography. A crazy place – my instinctive definition, that there had never been, in the morning when I woke up and out of the hotel and I found him there in front – who suffers welcome austere problem unfortunately widespread from Sicily to ‘ Alps (to make the journey up the peninsula to the contrary). Or rather, he has suffered. Because the idea of SuperG is precisely to be projected in the twenty-first century the tourism share. Housed in an old structure (“We had always seen, had always been there, but it was so bad and dilapidated that even we realized that there was more,” says Andrea), Super G is the first Mountain Lodge of Italy. It has 8 rooms, including 2 suites, dedicated to the great revolutionaries of history (from David Bowie to Banksy to Nikola Tesla and above), a restaurant / champagne bar (all delicious, but every meal has to end with the Tiramisu XXL), a bar / Sandwicheria, gym and spa area, a kid room. But above all there are two spectacular terraces in favor of the sun, where the 14 part après-ski. Everything right on the slopes. To get to the Super G, leave the car in the dedicated parking at the hotel, cable car side, and then salts. It may also happen to be late, now when it is dark, that radio steps Wonderwall Oasis and that everyone, absolutely everyone, you sing along softly, while Courmayeur under you is getting smaller and smaller and the Giant He approaches you with all its grandeur, its mystery, its silence.
We, the children of the seventies and eighties, sciavamo almost everyone. My school organized a ski camp in Castiglione della Presolana, a clearing only slightly inclined, and little but always snowy in the province of Bergamo. Then someone gave to snowboarding, but many we lost on the road, skiing. With low-cost, alternatives to the classic weekend in the mountains have become increasingly – and also cheaper. For those who have, the weekend, in the new world of flexible work. “Now it has become an elite sport,” says Arturo, my teacher for the day, concluding his teeth with a “unfortunately” that speaks volumes.
Look ributtarti down the slopes, with lots of fun and sfracellandoti the right, without hurting you, here are 5 tips:
1. Be sincere. It is not to be arrogant or shy. Or ashamed. If it is a certain number that is not skiing, or you are not fit, deny it just brings risks. Or unfounded fears. Anyone can resume. Just figure out where you stand in the street;
2. Look for a good teacher. Do not trust those who make discounts. It is always good to learn, after all walks of your health;
3. The best times are in the morning. Wake up early, that after 14 there is the après-ski, with flutes, cheeses and meats, DJ sets & more;
4. In twenty years has changed everything. The skis are shorter. The obsession with the snow thrower disappeared. Skiing is much more fun and you can even a little ‘to dress as you please (at least this explained to me on the phone, “there are people who wake in jeans.” Well if you’re recovering from scratch, trust me, as if harnessed I had to go to war at the North Pole);
5. Are you comfortable. Be pampered. The mountain is cold, hard, bad. Unforgiving. The days in the winter do not last long. Your time is precious. I remember the endless marches with parents and friends before then, concussions made of curves, cable cars on cable cars, icy roads, nausea, up early, sgnappette altitude, mediocre meals, car reeking of smoke, pills against nausea, butts against nausea, spells against sickness, endless pauses at the roadside because of nausea. Super G brought me closer to the mountain, making me forget in a single blow all the terrible weight of concussion that I had always associated. And you can always rent the equipment, for a glorious return one shot in the snow.